Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Getting back

Officially last week was the week from well you know. When someone you love has been there everyday of your life and then suddenly isn't it can be a hard thing to swallow. My grandma passed on after being on this earth for 83 years. I wish I could say she had more good days than bad but I don't know if it would be true. She suffered from mental problems throughout her adult life. Mental illness wasn't understood so much in the 1950s and she was given harsh electric shock therapy. She would come around for a time but would eventually need to be recommitted for more treatments, drugs and therapy. She was the loving Mom of my Mom and three other wonderful "kids".

We (my boys and I) were on our way to the nursing home to say goodbye but were just a few minutes too late. We formed a circle around her after she had just passed and said prayers for her spirit. The pastor had asked if anybody had anything to add. My oldest son said he would like to thank great-grandma for being such a wonderful mother and he knew she had been because she had raised such a wonderful kid. He looked at my Mom with love and adoration in his eyes.

During the eulogy my sister had prepared she said Grandma "wasn't her role model on how to live a perfect life but rather on how to live when life wasn't perfect."

3 comments:

PEA said...

Heidi,
I am so sorry about your loss. I know this time is difficult. In time you will be able to laugh and tell funny stories about her.
Prayers for you and yours.
Blessings,Pea

Heidi said...

Thank you Pea! We did have fun telling favorite stories of Grandma. Thanks too for your prayers!

Sending An Angel said...

Hi Heidi I remember when I lost my grandma too. Although we were not that close I wished we had been. I wanted to stop by and let you know I have a free design to give, so stop by and grab some love.
Anitra
Cute Art World